Macs Macaroni & CheeseThis time-honored recipe comes from one of our favorite Cabot employees. It's got a generous portion of tangy cheddar, a golden crumb topping, and a hint of cayenne and mustard.Ingredients:
2 cups small elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
2 cups whole milk, heated
16 ounces Cabot Sharp or Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated & divided* (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs
1. Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 2 1/2-quart baking dish or coat with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
3. In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Sprinkle flour into butter and whisk constantly until you have thick, smooth paste with nutty aroma, about 5 minutes.
4. Add mustard, red pepper and Worcestershire. Gradually whisk in milk and continue stirring until sauce thickens and returns to simmer.
5. Reduce heat to low. Add 3 cups of cheese and stir until melted. Add macaroni, stirring until well coated. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over top, followed by crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden on top and bubbling throughout.